The focus of this Dementia Australia session is on how dementia changes communication and possible alternate communication strategies which may be helpful. We also discuss dealing with over-reactions of a person with dementia and how to support the person who is distressed.
Thursday 27 September 2018
1.00pm – 3.30pm
Venue: Ballan District Health & Care
- How dementia changes a person’s ability to communicate
- Recognise situations when communication is likely to be difficult for the person with dementia and better understand why this might be so
- Use a range of simple strategies to enhance communication
- Respond more effectively with unusually emotional reactions by the person with dementia
- Draw from a range of ‘Tips and Hints’ for making the most of the moment with the person with dementia
Family and friends of a person diagnosed with dementia who already have a basic understanding of dementia and who need assistance with effective communication.
- Pension $10
- Part Pension $15
- No Pension $30
- Care package 3 or 4 $50 (full cost recovery)
- Online: EventArc
- Phone: Lisa Reed, 1300 526 576